Thursday, September 10, 2015

Tweetsie and Boone Weekend

With Labor Day weekend approaching quickly, we didn't have any plans although Brian had already taken the weekend off at church. After thinking about it a little more, I decided we needed a mini getaway. Brian rarely takes weekends off at church and with me being in school on Fridays now, we never have a full family day together. I knew the beach would be packed, so I looked into the mountains first.

Sitting in class Friday morning, (tsk, tsk) I was googled kid friendly things to do in Boone and Tweetsie was one of the first suggestions. My boy LOVES trains. Always has. I was pretty excited about this option. Brian was taking the red eye out of California Saturday morning, so we decided it was best to go Sunday-Monday. I texted Brian with the idea and he booked the hotel within an hour. I was pretty proud of us for being so spontaneous. :)

Tweetsie was great! It wasn't really crowded. We waited in line for maybe two rides. We got there around noon and planned to stay the remainder of the day. The first thing we did when we walked in was ride the big train around the mountain. The ride was full of pretty scenery and a live show of cowboys vs. indians. Landin LOVED this!! 




The rest of the park had a bunch of carnival rides, which were really fun for the kids. I'm so glad we did it this year because Landin was almost too tall to ride the rides. Right now he's 44.5 inches so next year I think we would have been too late. 


There was also a little petting zoo with llamas, pigs, and goats. The sweet little baby goat got out of the fence and was wondering around with us. Very kid friendly little goat. The kids loved it.


Suggestions if you want to go visit Tweetsie: 1. The park is only open until 6pm, so if you go after 3pm your ticket works all day the next day. I don't think we needed the extra time, but it would be nice to have the cushion if you were worried about time. 2. If your kids are over 45 inches, it may be boring. There are some rides for bigger kids, but it's mainly for the younger ones. I don't think we will go again for this reason. 3. Bring your own snacks and water. The only food served are unhealthy carnival foods like hotdogs and pizza. We did each lunch there and the kids got a fun little Tweetsie lunch box, but I'm so glad I brought snacks for them. 

Sunday night we went into Blowing Rock and had dinner at Mellow Mushroom and ate some yummy Kilwin's ice cream. I love downtown Blowing rock! It's such a sweet little town. Best part is the big park in the middle so the kids were able to play while we waited to eat! 

We had our first hotel stay with the kids, which I was VERY nervous about but luckily everything went really well. Landin fell asleep in the car and Clara went to sleep right away when we got in the room. Then they both slept until EIGHT O'CLOCK! WHAT! It was a mountain miracle. My kids wake up between 6-630 every morning like clockwork. It was amazing!

Monday we spent the day with our friend, Hayley!! She just started her first year at Appalachian State University. We're so proud. :)  She took us for a hike around Price Lake, which was beautiful! It's perfect for those of you with little kids because it's mostly flat.













After hiking we ate lunch in Boone and went to the Mast General store for some fun toys, then headed home. We were so thankful for some time with Hayley! :) 


It was an AWESOME weekend. I'm so thankful for a little getaway with my people! 

No comments:

Post a Comment